The Senior Legal Counsel provides expert and professional legal advice, guidance and support to ensure that the legal and reputational risks faced by the area of coverage are identified, reported and mitigated. This role will typically report to General Counsel.
Career progression may be into roles with greater accountability in a similar area of coverage, such as Associate General Counsel (GCB3) or into a role at the same level with team management (Associate General Counsel GCB4).
In this role, you will:
• To be the accountable lawyer to the executives of the area on all material legal issues that the business faces.
• Execute against relevant policies and procedures for the relevant area of coverage to ensure that Legal's role in the second line of defence can be executed.
• Advising relevant Management on non-standard legal and reputational risks.
• Evaluating and responding to changes in legal and regulatory requirements as they arise.
• The responsibility of this role is primarily to support the growth of Wealth and Personal Banking business and at the same time manage legal risks across the business. The role requires legal knowledge and technical insights on a wide spectrum of banking products and services covering not only traditional retail banking but also the more complex digital and automation solutions and services in the market.
• In facilitation to the Group’s transformation strategy to response to evolving client needs and digitization across the industry, the role require job holder to proactively, during navigation of product initiatives, identify legal and regulatory issues, provide commercially pragmatic advice with the ability to think strategically and creatively in identifying and resolving legal issues with the ability to challenge the business where it is appropriate to do so.
• On top of that, the job holder should embrace HSBC values and business principles at all times, align with global standards, enhance collaboration with stakeholders and legal peers both at regional and local level.
To be successful in the role, you should meet the following requirements:
• Qualified Lawyer, 8-10 year legal practice experience;
• Legal knowledge, technical insights and experience in banking products and services;
• Commercial sense and ability to think strategically and creatively;
• Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills;
• Able to work independently or as a team player and be able to guide and mentor the more junior members of the team.
Candidates with experience and knowledge in the below areas have more advantages:
• Fintech/digital solutions, e-commerce, e-payment;
• Local regulations on retail banking;
• Engagement with local regulators.